Friday 14 May 2010

Product Review: The Body Shop Spa Wisdom Polynesia Monoi Body Balm

Like many, I've long been a fan of The Body Shop's thick, nourishing body butters and have a number of different scents in my bathroom kit so when I was sent a tub of their new Spa Wisdom Monoi Body Balm to try, I had high expectations. Admittedly this is a balm, rather than their regular butters although I failed to see the distinction. The packaging and thick formula are both pretty similar.

I love love love monoi- a distinctively scented oil which is produced by infusing Tahitian gardenia flowers (Tiare) with wax-like coconut oil. It comes in many guises- pure monoi is solid at room temperature and must be melted in hot water before application. It's wonderfully soothing and softening to dehydrated skin.

The Body Shop's Monoi Balm maintains a distinctive, tropical scent although as is my bugbear with many of their products, the ingredients list is longer and more complex than is necessary.
This isn't a bad product- it certainly moisturises the skin thoroughly and leaves it with a tempting fragrance (in fact, personally, I found this overwhelming for my taste) but there's just something about it that I couldn't fall in love with. Give me Elemis Exotic Frangipani Monoi Moisture Melt any day...


£12 for 200ml at http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/

1 comment:

  1. Monoi de Tahiti:
    French decree No.92-340 protects the production of Monoi de Tahiti with an"Appellation d'Origine"(a guarantee of Origin)which outlines the specific production guidelines for the manufacturing of Monoi de Tahiti,thus ensuring high quality standards as well as authenticity.
    To be a Monoi de Tahiti ,the oil must contain the following ingredients:Cocos nucifera-gardenia tahitensis(the famous Tiare flower which is unique to Tahiti French Polynesia.
    Nars,Body Shop,Elemis,Ren,Nude skin care all sell Monoi oils,all without an appellation d'origin.

    ReplyDelete